This is a community project; it is not an
official product of the DocBook Technical Committee.
Over the years, the notion of a "simple" DocBook subset has come up
many times. It has been observed that the number of elements in
DocBook can be a little overwhelming to the new user.
Simplified DocBook is a small subset of DocBook.
The online summary shows just how
small this subset is.
This DTD is an attempt to make a small subset of DocBook.
The goals of this subset are:
Documents written in the subset must be 100% legal DocBook
This subset for single documents (articles, white papers, etc.),
so there's no need for books or sets, just 'articles'.
The markup should be the smallest practical subset, if you need
richly structured markup, use full DocBook. In
particular, the subset often selects a single element from a family of
related elements; for example,
screen is not.
The DTD must work in online browsers (it's XML not SGML). It
must be small enough to download more-or-less painlessly.
There are no current releases.
- 5.1CR3, 16 Jul 2014 (a customization of xml/5.1CR3)
- 5.1CR2, 12 Dec 2013 (a customization of xml/5.1CR2)
- 5.1CR1, 25 Jun 2013 (a customization of xml/5.1CR1)
- 1.2CR1, 09 Mar 2006 (a customization of xml/4.5CR2)
- 5.1b6-1, 16 Jan 2012 (a customization of xml/5.1b6)